Rich got me

Language butchery by redhotknitter on  10.9.06 @ 13:05

My birthday is a big day to me. Okay, really its huge. It is so gargantuan that it cannot be fit into one day. No, it now takes a whole month. It starts on August 15th and goes to Sept. 15th. Now celebrating a birth month does not mean I get presents or cards or wishes everyday. Rather it is a reminder to find joy in each day and celebrate life. Presents and cards are a bonus (and I thank you all who remembered and sent good wishes my way). Now this was a weird birth month because I moved shortly after it began and I start a new job shortly before it ends. These events have added a wee bit of stress to my life.
Shortly after moving to Portland to be with Rich and start a new life, I went to Montana to visit my family. All of my siblings and nieces landed upon my parents the last week in August. We had a really good time. My birthday fell in the middle of this, thus getting Rich off of celebrating the actual BIRTHDAY. It also meant that he had ample time to prepare for my birth celebration upon my return. However during the week I was gone, we had conversations in which he just had to talk to my mom to ask her advice on the present, oh no he hadn't had time to shop, instead we would take care of my present after my return, etc.... Needless to say I was slightly (okay really) perturbed. And my family played along with this by saying, is Rich in the doghouse?, how can he make it up to you?, what do you think you'll buy yourself? Meanwhile, Rich planned his nefarious scheme outlined below.
I had a terrible flight into Portland that fateful night, so I wasn't feeling well. Before I left Montana, Rich announced there was no present and we would go shopping, which didn't add to my enjoyment of life. I arrived and Rich wasn't at the airport. Not a good sign. He showed up and whisked me and my luggage off. We had to stop at home to drop off my luggage before we went to dinner. This is when the fun began. On the dining room table was a plethora of badly wrapped presents, just as he said. The excitement of unwrapping an umbrella and rice cooker was undeniable. Where the fuck was my electric teapot?!?!?!?!?! Nowhere it seemed as the "bad" presents piled up. I did my best to be a sport, after all he had gotten me gifts and wrapped them. Bonus points even if they weren't what I asked for.
Next we headed out the door and Rich asked me to drive to the restaurant. I'd just flown and felt sick, gotten presents I hadn't asked for and now I had to drive to my own birthday dinner? WTF?
I got in my car and there was a note waiting for me there. It took Rich a minute to tell me to read the bottom, which was hidden by the steering wheel. The rest is history. The note led to another note and another and another and finally led me back to my car. In the trunk was a beautifully wrapped present and card. And inside the box was my electric teakettle! The day was saved.
The funny thing is when I first got into my car, I almost looked in the back to see if anything was in there, but I didn't. The look on Rich's face had I done that would have been priceless. I'm glad I didn't ruin the surprise though. He did a great job and totally got me on my birthday.
And thanks to my family for not letting any secrets out of the bag but instead masterfully playing along.
Overall a good birthday was had by me!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?