When You Can't Even fsck, How to Reinstall grub

Language butchery by Mr Rich on  9.7.10 @ 21:50

Many thanks go out to people on this one. Credits given at the end.

So you've bricked your machine. You can't even use fsck (note: the command has one letter difference from the word said immediately prior to running it), because you just get that flashing underscore looking thing on a black screen.

Us old timers call that a cursor. When that's all you see when you boot your computer, it's not the only thing that is cursing.

Here's what you do.

RULE 1 WITH ANY LINUX DISTRO: ALWAYS HAVE A BOOT DISK.

I'm not kidding. You are up the proverbial defecation creek without a shovel and only your tongue to guide you if you don't have a boot disk. In days of old, we carried around floppies for such things. These days, you need only a live CD (preferably installed to a flash drive).

If you don't have a Live CD, you have officially learned your first Linux lesson. Go download one for your distribution right now and get it burned (or as stated before, preferably installed to a USB drive).

  1. Boot to your Live CD/USB drive.
  2. Open a terminal.
  3. List out your partitions
  4. Reconfigure grub to to to the partition with /boot.
  5. Reboot


To find your partitions, enter the following into the terminal:

df

You should see something like this:

/dev/sda2 305592212 256413288 33655720 89% /
/dev/sdb1 480719056 202796 456097060 1% /data


In the example listed above, my swap partition is /dev/sda1, and my root ( / ) partition is /dev/sda2 (yours will probably be different). I don't have /boot on a different partition, so /dev/sda2 is what I am looking for.

Here's what you want to note:
  • sda2 is the second partition on my first hard drive.
  • sdb1 is the first partition on my second hard drive.
  • grub is zero-based, so if I'll need to subtract 1 from both the number of hard drive and the partition to get it configured correctly (see below)


To reconfigure grub, at terminal enter the following:

grub
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
quit


Ok... so where did the numbers come from?

First I entered root (0,1). This told grub that the root partition was on the first hard drive, second partition. Remember I said subtract 1?
  • The root partition was sda2.

  • "a" is the first letter in the English alphabet; subtract 1 and you have 0.

  • "2" indicates the second partition; subtract 1 and you have 1.

Thus, root (hd0,1)

Next I told grub to setup the root partition for booting. If you understood what I explained just previously, then this should make sense:

setup (hd0)

The final thing you need to do is reboot -- making sure you pull out your live CD/USB at the right time to you don't boot to it.

Credits


First and foremost, my older brother TK. He taught me rule #1.

Second, my co-worker and colleague, Mr. MB. He sent me a chat the last time I fubar-ed up grub, and it made me remember what to Google for. I owe you (yet another..) beer sir!

Finally, "remmelt" on the Ubuntu forums (although it worked for my OpenSuSe install too): http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-24113.html

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?